I'm Traci Lynn Matlock.
I live and work in Houston, Texas.

Mostly, I shoot old-fashioned film.


I share more: here

And I always like email:
turningthequickcartwheel at gmail

Thursday, January 9, 2014

'Without passing time there can be no subject-object distinction,'

writes Bataille. (*see below)

And yet what often blurs the lines of distinction --

what suggests less boundary between myself and the world around me
(at least my awareness of less boundary) --

is precisely the passing of time, specifically minor moments.

Maybe that's only when I have a camera in my hand.
Maybe that's why I have a camera in my hand.


*

The objective and in a sense transcendent (relative to the subject) positing of the world of things has duration at its foundation:
no thing in fact has a separate existence, has a meaning, unless a subsequent time is posited, in view of which it is constituted as an object.
The object is defined as an operative power only if its duration is implicitly understood.

- from Bataille's Theory of Religion
 
(linebreaks: mine)

1 comment:

enantiom3r said...

Are limb looseners the opposite of tongue twisters?

I've been thinking about time and objects for a few minutes now, and settling on no responses. I tried! Positing of any kind has duration at its foundation, is what I think. Boundaries would be no more than random alignments if we couldn't observe their behavior.