I
The Resolution
I met him in a bar in December 1989. I was in New York for a couple of days. He offered to let me stay in his apartment and I accepted. He gave me the address, handed me the keys, and disappeared. I spent the night alone in his bed. The only thing I learned about him came from a piece of paper I found under a cigarette box. It said: "Resolutions for the New Year: no lying, no biting." Later, I called him from Paris to thank him. We decided to meet and made a date for January 20, 1990. Orly airport at 9:00 a.m. He never arrived, never called, and did not answer his phone. On January 10, 1991, at 7:00 p.m., I received the following call: "It's Greg Shephard. I am at Orly airport, one year late. Would you like to see me?" This is a man who knew how to talk to me.
(from Sophie Calle's True Stories)
*
![]() |
| red rose, padlock, unfinished door I could not find again |
*
Yesterday I returned from a short trip to New York; I shot only a small handful of photographs.
This was more an adventure of acclimation.
On my last morning, I walked from one door to another.
In those brief moments I did not notice the single degree temperature, negative degree windchill.
In those brief moments I did not notice the single degree temperature, negative degree windchill.
There are too many ways to measure success.
Time divided by awareness of sensation is one of them.


No comments:
Post a Comment