the guise of self-exposure hidden behind layers of context that interrupt any actual perceiving (of me):
Often I get emails that suggest I risk something valuable when I show you
my naked body, my philosophical questions, my artistic failures.
But I never show you the parts of my naked body I don't want you to see --
not the parts I find hideous, not the parts I (arbitrarily) deem
too explicit.
I take photos of my breast scars, but I never share them here.
I have a handful of xxx-rated self-portraits that are actually quite complex that I will probably never share online. Ever.
(Although writing this makes me immediately want to share...)
I never tell you about the mindless questions that weigh upon me.
Never tell you about my prolific list of requirements for the perfect summer dress.
Never admit my slight fetish (problem?) with overeating when I'm sad/excited/depressed/enthralled.
I never show you my real photographic failures:
how I make pretty portraits that are (on my part, as photographer) self-indulgent at best,
how one shot on every roll has an accidental photo where I focused on my hand and then forgot to turn on the self-timer,
how I take the crappiest, least interesting photos of my romantic life.
These are my brands of control.
Yesterday, on June 4th, I felt entirely, wonderfully Whole. I felt more myself than I have felt in a couple of months.
And then, today, June 5th, Wednesday early in the morning, I am a harbinger of shame.
My image in double, triple, any multiple, seems accurate.
I disgust myself at my duplicity, my theoretical and emotional manipulation, my logical arguments that seem to have no (w)holes.
Obviously I am not duplicitous or manipulative or logical in the way that I imagine, in my worst moments, I am.
Part of my shame centers on the fact that my ego allows me to believe that I'm this talented at, well, the negative traits.
So I fight being a mean person...
... and then I fight being an egoist who thinks they are the best at being a mean person.
The reality is that I am always peaking through the mini-blinds of a stranger's apartment.
I'm standing on the edge of the bed.
There's movement outside the bedroom, though I am alone and have been alone all night.
I drink a glass of water I filled from the bathroom faucet. There are six florescent lights, but only three work.
I am wearing your favorite shirt. No, my favorite shirt.
I look sleepy. I look like I'm crying.
You like my face like this. No, I like my face like this.
There is a black eye, in the shape of a camera lens, pointing at my face. I am pointing it at my face.
It is as heavy as a plastic gun. Its shutter sounds like breaking cardboard.
I never think This Is Who I Am when I take a photograph.
I often think: this is who I am not.





1 comment:
Thank you for being so honest with your work. It's hard to really explore yourself and determine what and who you really are and what you are not.
When I view your work, I often feel that you are extremely bifurcated and seem to want to reconcile yourself. There seems to be unsettled things inide and there's definitely a Mr. Jeykell and Hyde quality about your work. That can be liberating and maddening at the same time, I know
Most of the time your work is very playful as you search out the light areas of your creativity. Your work often remind me of my kids, running naked through the sprinkler on a hot summer day. Then there are the other times when your work crosses over into darker areas, as if you're looking for core of your being, but can't seem to grasp it.
I hope you don't mind this unsolicited review of your work. You've inspired me to look at myself closer and take the occasional bath. Pouring corn syrup over my head, not yet.
Cheers.
Post a Comment