*
Tonight I'm listening to sad songs. And happy songs that are happy because they are disguising their sadness.
I understand this, and so do you, I bet.
I can't figure out if I'm listening to help the tears or prevent them.
It's a convoluted mess, distinguishing between emotions.
It's like trying to recognize your face after you've been (temporarily, if only slightly) changed.
Like seeing a picture of yourself from the back when you didn't know one had been taken.
![]() |
| (original film photo: May 2013; handmade manipulation to the physical print: today) |
Here's what Brooks Haxton (who comforts me with his directness)
writes in his poem I Am from his collection Uproar:
The fog I call the world is not a cloud of atoms
only, but a cloud of feelings, and ideas. I mind
my little bumps. I grieve. I think about non-being.
All I do is what my flesh can do, yet everything
my flesh can do feels strange [...]
[...] I taste damp sparks inside my tongue. If sayings
gather under the name of Faith, or Art, I let them
when they let me let them, and my mind clears.


1 comment:
Coal Tattoo (Red Molly)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qfvK3eu3u_E
Wichita (Gillian Welch)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xj5wsbzQsxE
Post a Comment