I'm Traci Lynn Matlock.
I live and work in Houston, Texas.

Mostly, I shoot old-fashioned film.


I share more: here

And I always like email:
turningthequickcartwheel at gmail

Sunday, June 1, 2014

I did something anyone with an internet connection knows better than to do --

I glanced through the periphery of my past, in images from 2011 and 2012.
Boy did it put me in a lousy mood! I'm gonna have to sit in the sunshine for an hour to recover.

Though finding this helped:

self-portrait with hammock, happiness & Jupiter

3 comments:

Lou Noble said...

why did it put you in a lousy mood? Me, I dig looking back at what I've done in the past! usually because I'm so forgetful it's as if I'm seeing some things for the first time.

traci lynn matlock said...

Don't get me wrong, Lou, I love the images themselves. It's the residual of the photos, the circumstances, people lost to me for various reasons, etc etc.

Looking through the photographs themselves was equal parts happy surprise and comfort.

Thomas Ott said...

Sometimes I cringe at old photographs I've created or were a part of for precisely the reason you stated Traci. The circumstances, the people lost, etc.

The funny thing is, that I have to reconcile these photos with my own failing memories and often find that the people I was with, or taking photos of, remember that engagement completely differently. In some cases I may remember it as sad time and they may remember as ambivalent, etc.

Still in the end, its part of my timeline and who I am. For better or worse. In time the emotions attached to the photos will wash away and all that is left is just a snapshot in time, light captured with digital 1's and 0's or chemistry.