I'm Traci Lynn Matlock.
I live and work in Houston, Texas.

Mostly, I shoot old-fashioned film.


I share more: here

And I always like email:
turningthequickcartwheel at gmail

Wednesday, November 20, 2013

RATIO!

This Saturday night I'm showing hand-printed photographs. 
In frames! In a gallery! On white walls!

It's the RATIO: photography exhibition, located at El Rincon Social, 3210 Preston in downtown Houston, Texas.
hosted & curated by my friend (and local artist) David Salinas.


* * *

If you know me in person, then you probably know I have a tentative relationship to sharing in designated spaces.
(My preference is for someone to randomly see what I make, either at my house or online or in the lab,
and then for me to hand them the framed image the next time I see them.) 


But last year, when invited to participate in the first edition of this exhibit, I showed a new series of collages.
I was nervous to go into the building (I sat in my car and listened to Buju Banton before I finally was convinced to open the door).
Once inside, I'm sure my anxiety levels weren't much better, but it was great to see so many other artists and friends.
And to see their work.

To see my own work, at eye-level, under track lighting? Maybe not.

Maybe not then.

This year, for some reason I won't speculate here, I'm excited.
I already have issues with some of the work I'm showing, but that's only an issue with my pride.
My excitement to be in the space, to look at other things being made....

Yeah. I'm kinda getting into this one.

(It definitely helps that my early Saturday afternoon is pre-planned and will be delicious in a very subversive way...
but more on that later, perhaps.)

* * *

Here's a teaser image (sent to me by the curator) of my work in its final space:






Please drop by to peruse the work of many talented photographers,
share a beverage with me 

& find out what I've been doing in the photolab the last couple of months (instead of having a social life).

It's from 7 to 10. I'll be there a little after seven but probably won't stay the whole time.

Unless you show up with your dancing shoes and tequila. Then I can be convinced.

* * *

And here are two images of me from this week, looking like I actually look, both shot from a crappy phone camera.

One image taken in the shower, one image taken after a dance class that kicked my ass.   


These were not taken to be shared here -- they had ulterior motives -- but, if you don't know me in person, now I'll be easy to spot.

I'll be (emotionally) somewhere in between.

1 comment:

Kent Johnson said...

Congratulations on the show Traci. I'm sure it will be a fabulous event, wish I could be there!