I'm Traci Lynn Matlock.
I live and work in Houston, Texas.

Mostly, I shoot old-fashioned film.


I share more: here

And I always like email:
turningthequickcartwheel at gmail

Friday, June 4, 2021

On Heartfelt Impermanence

I'm sitting outside at a coffee shop that is empty of people save for me and the person at the counter who fell over a broom they placed directly behind their own feet. The sun is gray, and the rain is shining. All the tables are glossy with the ash of trees and the velvet of graffiti. I like it here. I keep the library of cement blocks company as they grow columunious weeds out of their bodies like smokestacks. Clear bottles of tears sit atop all the tables, each falsely, obviously, marked Hand Sanitizer. Someone left a ballroom shoe near a hula-hoop and a gleaming trophy the exact shape and size of a trash can. There are little rocks everywhere, and when I press my toes in the earth my wet body sinks into the wetter sand. I really like it here. There's music in my head. It sounds like astronaut dreams and an electric surge. It makes my fingers make letters that make words like Astronaut and Surge. The music has titles, and I really like those too. Here are some titles from two albums, no words added, few words left out, most words rearranged (though aren't most words rearranged? No matter matter.):

Le Souvenir des Temps Soudaine 

Every ending is heartfelt
impermanence. Skin was only shelter
when words like throw were still. 

The valley glitches in afternoon
strobes. L'invisible unravels into
a static coast. Our obedient stutter

shall flourish and fade like pyramid
heat at twilight. Intention is bright
meadow beauty, shrouded

soft bells that toll objectively
yellow. Your amber
shape swirls me clock-

wise into a river of trombones.
A sea of xeroxed candy.
But I am no miracle

Other. I carry you by broken
traveler hands. This place
is only wind. Is only particles.

Take my sky, my name, my verses
like film credits. Tomorrow
(too) the stars heal their disguise. 

* * *

film photo shot this year with broken traveler hands

 

 

No comments: