I'm Traci Lynn Matlock.
I live and work in Houston, Texas.

Mostly, I shoot old-fashioned film.


I share more: here

And I always like email:
turningthequickcartwheel at gmail

Friday, May 10, 2013

(Half a self-portrait with half a painted heart.)

When I shoot photos of people, especially of strangers, I often ask them to shoot a photo of me on my camera.
This isn't something I plan. I generally forget to ask until I'm looking through the film and find something missing.

Partially, it's more fun for me to encourage others to shoot photos than to shoot photos myself.
Partially it's because people who aren't expecting to shoot an image tend to make fantastic, spontaneous photographs.
Partially (hello, honesty), I kinda love having my photo taken in an action-oriented, non-modeling way.

While shooting, I tend to feel a supreme joy -- and to be able to express it.
It's not quite manic, but it's a perfect example of most positive, active self:

I talk, I laugh, I run, I jump, I share stories and objects, I get dirty, I wind up on the ground in odd positions, 
I read poems out loud, I wake up sore the next morning, I sing, I change clothes, I smile so much my jaw hurts.

Mostly, having people take these photos is a self-documentation of happiness, my happiness, in movement, as seen through them.

*

I had never met Erica before she showed up at my temporary(ish) apartment. While she was naked on the roof looking at me and the beautiful sky, I set my camera settings, turned on the flash and passed it to her. Then asked her to take a photo of me. 

photo taken on my camera by Erica Jay

Look at this gem! It's such a gift to have such wonderful photos of yourself, being yourself, being grateful, simply being.


No comments: