"[T]hey are border changers, they push their horizons continually outwards.
They live-in and familiarize themselves; they wander and defamiliarize themselves.
History demolishes their houses.
History demolishes their houses.
To speak like Deleuze, humans are in a permanent game between tendencies of territorialization and deterritorialization."
When I make landscapes
(and often when I make other types of photographs)
I precariously tip the edge of inhabiting the space or letting it inhabit me.
Passing photo to photo, I feel either full responsibility of representation
or (like Jack Spicer and his idea of alien transmission as muse) no responsibility whatsoever.
Eventually they each become rather objective (objectified?), and the question of responsibility is moot.
(Is it silly to talk about responsibility when photographing a yellow Texas wildflower?)
Perhaps this is why I often wait months to share (here) photographs I love --
not out of a sense of territory but out of a preference to depart from a place of deterritorialization.
Or I'm just lazy / protective / embarrassed / shy / private / forgetful...
* * *
In the typing of this passage (from Sloterdijk's Neither Sun Nor Death) I had to 'Add to Dictionary' four words.
*
(above linebreaks: mine)



No comments:
Post a Comment