I'm Traci Lynn Matlock.
I live and work in Houston, Texas.

Mostly, I shoot old-fashioned film.


I share more: here

And I always like email:
turningthequickcartwheel at gmail

Sunday, December 9, 2012

In which I discuss broadcasting, odd numbers, Jessie and the hoola hoop that hates me, seriousness (I'm being serious!) and the sound of my voice as I say (outloud while typing and with caesura on the end that emphasizes the rhyme with the word that you make when a doctor looks down your throat, but sexier: aaaahhh): repertoire

* * *

On my way here (and by on the way, I mean via the closing/opening of tabs along the internet highway), I generally begin saying, or internalizing with a fairly audible voiceover, what I want to say, um, write -- the why that must be answered if you've been communicating over the internet for more than a handful of posts. And then, sometimes (today, just now, for instance), by the time I upload the photos, the impetus has changed and the voiceover has become too aware of its own sound to really be listened to.

So instead I will mumble (yeah, um, write in a mumble-y tone) in a few rubble-like pieces:



1. They say (rather, I've heard it said) that serious photographers don't make serious images in which people are happy.

Oops.

2. Editing should be a part of everyone's repertoire.
Used often and casually forgotten (like now!).

3. You know how every once in a while you meet someone with whom you have endless amounts of creative energy?

I've met (as in, really met) JN twice.
I make things with her (including conversation) that I usually make (and say) solely with long, long time friends.

She's taken two (very long) baths in my tub. One she took yesterday while I wrote my paper in the other room.
For non-bathing reasons she's been in my tub probably five times. In the two times that we've met.

An hour or two after hanging out yesterday, I finally had to twist our arms to take photos.

4. And then, after making serious photos (see #1), I rewound and reloaded the same film before we played in the backyard.
She (ahem) attempted to teach me how to hula hoop with a professional hoop.

Not so naturally talented, I gave up often -- throwing down the hoop and picking up my camera instead.

Forgetting what I was shooting atop (yay for a bad memory!), I shot more photos of her over the first set.

These joyful artefacts are the outcome. They show exactly zero clarity of what we shot before.
And yet, for that -- yep, for their hidden-in-plain-sight nature -- I love them all the more.

(Addendum:  I've added a few extras that were on another camera --
a camera that gave up on me with way more pizazz than I gave up on the hoop.)

5. Spellcheck wants me to change artefact to artifact, and I don't want to.
It also wants me to write 'spell check.'

6. I am resisting posting every photo from every roll I had developed today,

7. mostly because a few days ago I wrote here that I wouldn't go kicking to my grave if I quit making photos,

8. and I know now that I was lying because I was scared I had quit making photos

9. when really I just had to spend a few weeks thinking and writing and using a different part of my brain.

10. Also, I realize that most people who read this blog would probably end this list on an odd number
(they say artists like odd numbers),
but of course, I don't read this blog.

True story. Like emails, once it's written, it's Live. Or it's deleted.

Let's go live today.








No comments: