I'm Traci Lynn Matlock.
I live and work in Houston, Texas.

Mostly, I shoot old-fashioned film.


I share more: here

And I always like email:
turningthequickcartwheel at gmail

Sunday, June 3, 2012

'I've got to praise/blame you like I should.'


Nevertheless, these aspects of an individual, which we designate as author (or which comprise an individual as an author), are projections, in terms always more or less psychological, of our way of handling texts: in the comparisons we make, the traits we extract as pertinent, the continuities we assign, or the exclusions we practice. 

- Michel Foucault, from language, counter-memory, practice

When specifically crafted (and often when accidental), photographs become texts.
Multiple exposures are one type of my refusal to authenticate the self (that's me) as my photographs' only creator, to deny my own role as a single author or an "author-function.'' 

As many hands make my photographs as make me. Which means I can blame you too.




2 comments:

CHW said...

Better to be blamed for something wondrous than to pretend I'm innocent.

Stephen Paré said...

Really admire #4 here, with its fragmented sections and its distinct color areas (and very full spectrum). Great vibe, and if I may say so, a very fine self-portrait.