I'm Traci Lynn Matlock.
I live and work in Houston, Texas.

Mostly, I shoot old-fashioned film.


I share more: here

And I always like email:
turningthequickcartwheel at gmail

Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Moon's in the Trees, Bird's in the Clouds

Recently I've been talking on the phone more often. There are a lot of reasons, including: 
phone conversations are second-best to talking to someone vis-a-vis because they give you the Voice and the inflections of the Voice; driving semi-long and solitary distances makes me more intimately social; a new and far more comfortable phone.

But I don't like driving and talking on the phone. So when I'm in my car and someone calls me, I pull over to the side of the road and chat for a while. But I'm not simply listening/talking; I'm looking; I'm looking in a way that is unique from all other ways of looking (for me). The last time this happened, without thinking, I picked up the camera that was next to me in the passenger's seat and took a photo of a random yard in a random neighborhood that I barely remember and definitely could not find again. I barely know the city in which I took it!

This is such a lucky way to make a photograph! Half in the senses and half out; half in the mechanics and half out.
I wish I could healthily function this way more often (without having to actually be on the phone).

Here's the photo of the tree in a stranger's yard:

nothing special, just a giant tree in a small yard next to a heavy conversation



No comments: