I'm Traci Lynn Matlock.
I live and work in Houston, Texas.

Mostly, I shoot old-fashioned film.


I share more: here

And I always like email:
turningthequickcartwheel at gmail

Saturday, February 25, 2012

Bits of the Bifurcated Self

Forget the asked why -- instead, what to do with so many self-portraits?

When I take photos of anyone else, the narrative of the making IS the excuse for sharing.

These images of myself, these bits of the 'bifurcated self,' are they bound together by no more than thread?

So much ecstasy and freshness and damage wound like a scroll in a player piano. This! My player piano.



"I don't make work about being victimized...
I rather find everyone capable of terrible things and I fear my own weakness and blindness first."
- Marlene Dumas, 2003

2009, not a self-portrait but a portrait I asked be taken


2 comments:

April Schultz said...

you make me want to live deeper, with more pain and more pleasure.

CHW said...

It would be easier to look at these if you were a stranger. The natives believed that a picture stole a person's soul. You give us fragments of yourself, if not your soul, in every frame. You are so fearless I'm often afraid for you.