I'm Traci Lynn Matlock.
I live and work in Houston, Texas.

Mostly, I shoot old-fashioned film.


I share more: here

And I always like email:
turningthequickcartwheel at gmail

Friday, December 30, 2011

Foregrounding the Grotesque & the Pure

Nabokov (Dear Goodness! Just writing his name!) says this about chess in his autobiography, Speak, Memory
Deceit, to the point of diabolism, and originality verging upon the grotesque, were my notions of strategy; and although in matters of construction I tried to conform, whenever possible, to classical rules, such as economy of force, unity, weeding out of loose ends, I was always ready to sacrifice purity of form to the exigencies of fantastic content, causing form to bulge and burst like a sponge-bag containing a small, furious devil. 
I don't consciously think of this when I make photos, but I certainly do when I edit.

Oh, Nabokov knew that, concerning creation, being Divine was not enough, being Antithetical was not enough.
To satisfy the tactility of the imaginative self, both must be present, in lesser and minor degrees depending.

Forgot how to do it once it was done.

No comments: