The one with my arm threaded through my shorts --
could I have made so many of these that this newest image invokes (/recalls) no memory?
Yes, apparently I could have.
This gives me the oddest sense of embarrassment and pride.
*
It's a journey, any sort of long-term self-exploration (through at least partial exposure).
I never know if I'm climbing up the hill or haphazardly repelling down a cliff.
Probably because the journey is not an ascent/descent form: it's a plateau!
Such psychic exercise on a plateau!
It thrills me that, mid-plateau, I can confuse my own trajectory as an endorphin-riddled incline or decline.
![]() |
| double-exposure, taken within seconds |
![]() |
| double-exposure, taken within weeks |
![]() |
| single exposure, forgotten and then, weeks later, exposed to light |
*
Twice this week I've been made aware that the me from ten years ago has a proper name that isn't the name I consider my own.
I mean that in the metaphorical sense, though in the literal sense it is true as well.
Where my artistic life resides now, it's never ( rarely) in the shadows.
But then, what I wanted
wanted deeply
was to be under (not a spotlight but) a searchlight.
A searchlight.
A suggestion of criminality, of desire and specifically the seduction of chase, a removal of my will.
When I was exposed, I wanted to be able to say I didn't want to be exposed.
A passivity, you could say. A topping-from-the-bottom.
*
People often consider what I made seven years ago the product of what I make now,
as if who I am now continues to work backwards, allowing my earliest shared-online work to finally make sense.
It's not just 'people.' At times, I think of myself and my work in this manner.
As if to authenticate -- to prove as genuine and accurate -- the power with which I blindly invested my earlier work.
Sometimes, when I approach my old work, I see the silliness of it, the immaturity, the lack of craft.
Sometimes, when I find that work to be much better than what I make now,
I know
that (even if it's accurate), it's mostly a self-derisive
sentimentality.
Self-derisive because it's often a mechanism that prevents me from enjoying my current works-in-progress.
Occasionally it gets me flustered that I can never compete with my own history --
with the earliest engagements in my work (the initial impulse,
the bridge between my online identity and my personal life) --
that what I made once-upon-a-time will always be more memorable (for many valid reasons I appreciate)
than what I make now.
*
But who am I to say that time isn't running backwards?
That what I'm making now IS creating what I have made in the past?
Every day I feel like I'm beginning.
I can imagine the feeling will only get stronger as my life gets longer.
I look forward to knowing less and less and less.
And also to finding out -- and manifesting -- who I was long ago.
(So long ago it feels like never.)
(The way that forever feels like never.)
(That forever acts like never.)




No comments:
Post a Comment