I'm Traci Lynn Matlock.
I live and work in Houston, Texas.

Mostly, I shoot old-fashioned film.


I share more: here

And I always like email:
turningthequickcartwheel at gmail

Wednesday, March 13, 2013

In case I haven't made this clear enough...

I'm pretty much rambling here.
I'm trying out ideas, writing words I often don't use in daily life, borrowing language from books I've read that are over my head.

I'm not an intellectual. I don't make foolproof theories or think I know best. I don't lead discussions or write books.
I don't believe in The Right Way or One Way.
Although I do believe that there are quality thinkers who believe (and can prove) the opposite.

(This is why I link to quotes / poems / videos / essays as often as I can; 
you can't trust me beyond my pointing finger to the source.)

Here, on this blog, I think of myself as a mediocre explorer of my own creative and emotional life.
And also, not here on this blog.

In case I have lead you astray, I should not be relied upon as a beacon of anything but personal curiosity.

Mostly, I like to write words here to cause my shutter finger a wave of mania.
Language moves in me like an electrical cord directly connected to the use of my camera.
I've found what works for me.

I figure people with more dedication and discipline are tearing me apart.
I've figured that, and every once in a while I know it to be true.

I'm just learning. I'm fucking up a lot. I have regrets about things I've shared with you.
More often, I have regrets about things I didn't share.

I hope to find guides -- accidental ones and purposeful ones.

Like lights on in windows downtown. Or lights over lights on in windows downtown.





3 comments:

thought107 said...

"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious." ~ Albert Einstein

enantiom3r said...

I like that you said this because it defies the tendency to see people as only the shining, unified image of what they make. (Although if what you're making is a series of expressed thoughts, can one more about the series itself do more than add another layer to that synthesized mosaic image we have of you?) People are boxes that somehow manage to be black from both inside and out. I don't talk like this in my daily life either... except insofar as writing on the internet is a part of my daily life.

Anonymous said...

I have enjoyed being "led astray" by you...if that's what it was, has been, will be. It doesn't matter to me if this is not the public you, or if this is the you (you are--only here). I only know this side of the mirror. I am mesmerized by your photographic talents...yet I am just as transported by your words. You give us (I believe) what all good art gives us: a place to go we wouldn't have gone on our own. Thank you!