Perhaps now this would be a smarter decision, but early in my university career? Not so much.
Our first test consisted of gathering in small groups around specimens on tables; the test was to accurately assign names.
We whittled away most of our wordbank quickly but were left with what felt to me like impossible-to-label stragglers.
One being Salt.
There is a foolproof way to distinguish salt from your common road rock.
Here's where I should say that these specimens had clearly been around the block.
Year after year, East Texas sophomores had used most means necessary to label these pieces of earth.
Lots of hands had touched and touched and touched and touched and touched.
But, like I said, Salt does have a distinguishing feature: taste.
And I was an overachiever! I can't be blamed!
To the horror of my group (and eventually the professor), I accurately labeled Salt.
It wasn't great for my early foray into the sciences.
I learned my lesson and succeeded (somewhat) in chemistry the next semester.
Without being talked to about the repercussions of my techniques... or about estranging my classmates.
* * *
Not all experiments are right for all experiences. I learned this. It was a good lesson.
Nothing dissuades me from learning the world by the way it feels in my mouth.
I know success is about being selective.
* * *
Fourteen photographs shot today of Brittany eating a pluot in the shape of the world:
See what Brittany makes & eats: here















1 comment:
wow, this set is almost too good.
Post a Comment