There is often too much opportunity to overthink a situation, and yet when there is not, there is also panic.
Recently, I was invited to visit the second rehearsal for the newest Dominic Walsh Dance Theatre production. This is also the second collaboration between A. and Dominic, this time a story of Camille Claudel (infamous for her relationship to Rodin, incredible for her own art and story). It was rather spontaneous, and I happened to bring along my sadly unused-by-me digital camera. Though I barely touched the camera at first, it's lack of noise-making (in comparison to my old film cameras) made me cling to it by the end. Out of sheer curiosity I decided to shoot a little video -- of something I had never seen (contemporary ballet rehearsal) with something I had never used (fancy-ish digital video recording) to make something I had never made (narrative of the creative process).
Watching the three of them work, gosh. I cannot tell you how inspiring! I am grateful to all of them for allowing me into such a primitive part of this creation. It's hard not to begin intellectualizing this experience, but at the bottom of it was pure beauty, technique and love for making what's to be shared.
I threw this video together in one quick evening. Just an idea:
One of my favorite parts: at 4:39 she says, "I need practice, but it's very good.
Another: the physically-driven MOUTHsounds they both begin making & mimicking around 6:28.
(And yes, I have explicitly removed the final run-through because I hate to spoil an ending!)
This is a photo I took (on my clunky and very loud film camera) after one rehearsal but before the next.
Another: the physically-driven MOUTHsounds they both begin making & mimicking around 6:28.
(And yes, I have explicitly removed the final run-through because I hate to spoil an ending!)
* * *
This is a photo I took (on my clunky and very loud film camera) after one rehearsal but before the next.
Hana Sakai will be performing the role of Camille Claudel.
(I hope you all have the opportunity to hear this woman laugh, really laugh!)
![]() |
| Ms. Sakai |


2 comments:
Can't even tell you how much I enjoyed this...
Nicely done, Traci. That was fascinating to watch.
Post a Comment