I'm Traci Lynn Matlock.
I live and work in Houston, Texas.

Mostly, I shoot old-fashioned film.


I share more: here

And I always like email:
turningthequickcartwheel at gmail

Tuesday, January 17, 2012

"You can get addicted to a certain kind of sadness."

I shared this on Facebook yesterday, about 22 million listeners behind. How much I admire/covet musical talent! And like other talents, what I really mean is: I admire people who take their creative work seriously, alongside a giant handful of Lightness. Not to mention that, like my soapboxes on sharing & photography, song covers highlight my strong belief that great work is often (mostly!) made from re-making what your creative peer did first. I don't undervalue the person who creates first; I only suggest that the ego of being/feeling-like the sole originator gets in the way of moving forward - or moving laterally. (Addendum: I also admire people who create in the wake of someone else's initial wave and don't over-apologize for it or lessen the worth of what they've made anew. Haven't I heard something about imitation and flattery?)

In other words, the audacity of this performance tickles my fancy-love buttons.


1 comment:

April Schultz said...

I have been obsessing about this song for the last few days. My obsession looks like this: Me, sitting in on my hand-me-down couch leaning forward to hear the extremely loud speakers that are mounted beside my television. My eyes are clothes, ears open. Fingers fitfully rubbing the silky upright ears of my Belgian Malinois, Willow. She likes the song too. I hadn't seen the video until reading your post. And you're right. The audacity. It's amazing.