As I was saying every one always is repeating the whole of them. As I was saying sometimes it takes many years of listening, seeing, living, feeling, loving the repeating there is in some before one comes to a completed understanding. This is now a description, of such a way of hearing, seeing, feeling, living, loving, repetition.Mostly every one loves some one's repeating. Mostly every one then, comes to know then the being of some one by loving the repeating in them, the repeating coming out of them. There are some who love everybody's repeating, this is now a description of such loving in one...Mostly every one loves some one's repeating. Every one always sis repeating the whole of them. This is now a history of getting completed understanding y loving repeating in every one the repeating that always is coming out of them as a complete history of them. This is now a description of learning to listen to all repeating that every one always is making of the whole of them.Now I will tell of the meaning to me in repeating, of the loving there is in me for repeating.Always from the beginning there was to me all living as repeating. This is now a description of loving repeating as being. This is now a history of learning to listen to repeating to come to a completed understanding.Gertrude Stein, from The Making of Americans
I'm Traci Lynn Matlock.
I live and work in Houston, Texas.
Mostly, I shoot old-fashioned film.
I share more: here
And I always like email:
turningthequickcartwheel at gmail
Thursday, January 5, 2012
Loving (Your / My) Repeating
at
8:36 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


5 comments:
I am just blown away by the depth of your culture. I've thought for a long time that "The Making of Americans" ought to find its way into somebody's oratorio or something - the language is intensely rhythmic, trancy; it's my favorite Stein (written at the time of the famous Picasso portrait of her).
Utterly different is Propellerheads but god that rocks. Love the break at 3:05, and the long low growls of the horns at 4:10 - wow! You have deep culture.
Dana & Audrey have been listening to Shirley Bassey's Greatest Hits for a couple of years now. They both love that song, as do I.
Not really appropriate for you, though. You never repeat yourself - you just keep evolving.
Stephen, you are far too kind! If I had ten times as much life I would fill it with ten times as much art -- writing, painting, photography, music, etc. There's an endless amount of great work out there, and I've been lucky introduced to a lot of exceptional writing, especially. But it's at the thanks of my friends who guide me in the right direction.
I'm glad to read that you enjoy Stein as much as I do. I tend to be a little heady, so for as intellectual as her work seems, it has to be read and appreciated with open palms, so to speak. You can't control your perception of it, you just have to ride it. And that is my favorite part of what she does!
wow... on Sunday I heard about Nietzsche's eternal recurrence while washing dishes and listening to Jan. 1st's http://philosophytalk.org/ broadcast, and have been tossing it around in my thoughts since.
And then I come here and you've posted this! Ideas only seem to arrive with the world beating me over the head with them. (Repetition indeed.) I'll have to pick up The Making of Americans, that excerpt is tantalizing. Not to mention listen to the Propellerheads about a thousand times.
I'm excited by your idea of having ten times as much life... How are we going to achieve that? Perhaps we could start by chanting "The Making of Americans" instead of reading it silently.
Post a Comment