Because I shoot film, the physical output of time falsely (in my opinion, falsely) aligns itself in a linear progression. There is a beginning, middle and end; however, the line of time works like an arrow with the arrowheads removed. There's a forward movement, but which way is forward? You place a negative strip (24 images, say) on a table, and there's an undeniable story, you can make one up, whether you move from left to right or right to left. It doesn't matter if the negative strip is upside down; it doesn't matter if you stand on a different side of the table.
One moment directly influences the next. The future influences the present as much as the past influences it.
I've written here in a [previous post] that the order of photos often intrigues me more than the actual photos themselves.
These photos were taken back-to-back on a roll that contained no other photos of faces. Which one drove the next?
![]() |
| Jamie |
![]() |
| & I |



No comments:
Post a Comment