I'm Traci Lynn Matlock.
I live and work in Houston, Texas.

Mostly, I shoot old-fashioned film.


I share more: here

And I always like email:
turningthequickcartwheel at gmail

Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Post-Want




The moment I'm comfortable sharing an image, it's almost too late for me to benefit from the sharing.

I want to share things I don't want to share.

And it's more than the sharing, though that's easy to talk about on a blog (which is made for, specifically, sharing).

I want to make things I don't want to make. Things I don't like, things I won't enjoy, things that won't satisfy me.
I no longer want to be satisfied by a finished product of a photograph. Satisfaction? How unsatisfying!

When I said this out loud a few days ago, I scared myself:

I took a break from my camera when I realized there was nothing I wanted to make that was beyond my capacity.

What I meant (mean) is that my Desire to Make has been regulated by my Abilities.
I've let what I'm capable of making dictate what I Want to make.

I want to work not beyond my Abilities but outside of them, to imagine without referencing my own potential for (personal) success, or failure, for that matter. I want to want something I CAN'T DO. Worse: I want to want something I don't even know I can't do, something I don't even know period!

If I've done it, I don't want to do it. If I think I might do it, I don't want to do it.

I want to make things: what I don't want to make and what I don't know is there to be made.

It's impossible, of course.
My camera is hot to the touch lately. It wears fishnets, has pheromones, carries a sword.

It's dangerous. Because I know it's about to pull me under the water.
And hopefully into the undertow.

2 comments:

rynokins said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Wessel said...

Well this made me... happy... warm...

You've always made things happen far away which you don't even know about.