I'm Traci Lynn Matlock.
I live and work in Houston, Texas.

Mostly, I shoot old-fashioned film.


I share more: here

And I always like email:
turningthequickcartwheel at gmail

Monday, November 14, 2011

Particular (excuses)


I have a delicate relationship to sharing.
Delicate and ravenous. Fresh meat and a tenderizer.

People share, and I take. I share, and people take.
That's not the cycle of making work -- that's the Cycle of Sharing.

If you don't want Your Images taken, don't put them on the internet.
Now, the issue of Your Image is quite different.
There is nothing you can do to reign it back in once you've shared it. I've learned this from every angle.

Long ago I gave up trying to regulate My Images. And it took about a year to stop regulating My Image too.

Still, there's a little axe in the shape of a pair of lungs.
It begins to inflate when I see myself re-exposed anywhere else on the internet. For good or bad reasons.

When someone says: I'm just being honest.
it really means: My feelings are hurt and a small part of me wants yours to be hurt too.

Trust me. I'm just being honest.

A picture of no one in particular taken nowhere in particular while waiting on nothing in particular.

Like a Saint, an Angel and a God, I sit here and say that I don't get my feelings hurt over photography.
That I don't get jealous concerning photography. That I don't get territorial about photography.
Those are all lies! Of course I do! And when I've taken things from you, I hope you've gotten pissed off!
But more so, I hope it's what made you take more.

I see her photos in your photos all the time. Maybe neither of you know it.
I see your photos in hers too. That's the beauty! Practice, talent, luck -- none of it matters.
What matters is how light hit the film, how developer hit the film, etc.

Did I say I have a delicate relationship to sharing? I want to slash through it with a papercloth.
I want to take everything I've ever made and horde it in my belly.
But it's not a baby -- it's a balloon! If you try to get it inside you, it doesn't preserve; it pops!

If I had a pulpit today, I would beat on it with a mallet.
I am beating on my only pulpit with a mallet.

It's a beautiful thing to watch people make each other's images.
How satisfying to know that they're aware of what they're doing; how equally satisfying to know that they're not.
In me too! I am the guiltiest culprit!

There are too many anomalies of images not to try and recreate them.
If I could sing, I'd sing your song. I wish to goodness that you could sing mine, that I had one for you to sing!

I'm rambling about putting so much imagery on the internet. Because I love it.
You do your loves injustice if you do not question your integrity concerning them.

Half of me wants to never post images again.
That only lasts so long. I have a palpable second half with slippery, slippery fingers.
I could give away every image. Sometimes I do.


*


Right now I'm setting a glorious fire to the desert to compete with the mountain range.

Right now I want to show things to you that you won't know how to like.


2 comments:

Panishka said...

Traci Whitman.

Anonymous said...

"Right now I want to show things to you that you won't know how to like."